March 20, 2007
ACRL releases essay on technology and change in academic libraries
The full essay and an expansion of that conversation are at http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlissues/future/changingroles.htm.
The summit identified three essential actions libraries must take to achieve the necessary transformation and remain vital forces on campus in the years ahead:
* Libraries must evolve from an institution perceived primarily as the domain of the book to an institution that users clearly perceive as providing pathways to high-quality information in a variety of media and information sources....
I'd found the "23 Things" list at the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County blog.
I viewed the "7 1/2 Habits Tutorial" at that point. Here is the list, for reference:
I like their "Learning Contract," as well:
7 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners
Training specialist, Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County
1. Begin with the end in mind - determine what your goal will be
2. Accept responsibility for your own learning
3. View problems as challenges
4. Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner
5. Create your own learning toolbox (books, classes, technology, mentors, friends)
6. Use technology to your advantage (should be a tool to make your life easier)
7. Teach/mentor others
7 1/2. Play, be curious, read!